Current:Home > MySome Americans will get their student loans canceled in February as Biden accelerates his new plan -GrowthInsight
Some Americans will get their student loans canceled in February as Biden accelerates his new plan
SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 18:27:22
WASHINGTON (AP) — The Biden administration will start canceling student loans for some borrowers starting in February as part of a new repayment plan that’s taking effect nearly six months ahead of schedule.
Loan cancellation was originally set to begin in July under the new SAVE repayment plan, but it’s being accelerated to provide faster relief to borrowers, President Joe Biden said Friday. It’s part of an effort “to act as quickly as possible to give more borrowers breathing room” and move on from their student debt, the Democratic president said in a statement.
Borrowers will be eligible for cancellation if they are enrolled in the new SAVE plan, if they originally borrowed $12,000 or less to attend college, and if they have made at least 10 years of payments. The Education Department said it didn’t immediately know how many borrowers will be eligible for cancellation in February.
Biden announced the new repayment plan last year alongside a separate plan to cancel up to $20,000 in loans for millions of Americans. The Supreme Court struck down his plan for widespread forgiveness, but the repayment plan has so far escaped that level of legal scrutiny. Republicans in Congress tried unsuccessfully to block the new repayment plan through legislation and a resolution last year.
The new plan offers far more generous terms than several other income-driven repayment plans that it’s meant to replace. Previous plans offered cancellation after 20 or 25 years of payments, while the new plan offers it in as little as 10. The new plan also lowers monthly payments for millions of borrowers.
Those who took out more than $12,000 will be eligible for cancellation but on a longer timeline. For each $1,000 borrowed beyond $12,000, it adds an additional year of payments on top of 10 years.
The maximum repayment period is capped at 20 years for those with only undergraduate loans and 25 years for those with any graduate school loans.
The Biden administration says next month’s relief will particularly help Americans who attended community colleges, which generally cost less than four-year universities. The plan aims to place community college students “on a faster track to debt forgiveness than ever before,” Education Secretary Miguel Cardona said.
Counterintuitively, those with smaller student loan balances tend to struggle more. It’s driven by millions of Americans who take out student loans but don’t finish degrees, leaving them with the downside of debt without the upside of a higher income.
Republicans have railed against the new repayment plan, saying it helps wealthier Americans with college degrees at the expense of taxpayers who didn’t attend college. Some say it’s a backdoor attempt to make community college free, an idea that Biden campaigned on but that failed to win support in Congress.
Starting next month, the Education Department says it will automatically wipe away balances for eligible borrowers enrolled in the SAVE plan. The department will email borrowers who might be eligible but have not enrolled.
Some of the plan’s provisions took hold last summer — it prevents interest from snowballing as long as borrowers make monthly payments, and it makes more Americans eligible to get their monthly bill lowered to $0.
Other parts are scheduled to take effect in July, including a change to limit borrowers’ payments to 5% of their discretionary income, down from 10% in previous income-driven repayment plans.
The Biden administration is separately pursuing another plan for widespread cancellation. After the Supreme Court rejected Biden’s first plan, he asked the Education Department to try again under a different legal authority. The department has been working on a new proposal that would provide relief to targeted groups of borrowers.
___
The Associated Press’ education coverage receives financial support from multiple private foundations. The AP is solely responsible for all content. Find the AP’s standards for working with philanthropies, a list of supporters and funded coverage areas at AP.org.
veryGood! (613)
Related
- This was the average Social Security benefit in 2004, and here's what it is now
- US sweeps first day at Presidents Cup
- How to watch the vice presidential debate between Walz and Vance
- Judge orders US government to leave Wisconsin reservation roads open
- How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
- Kane Brown Got One Thing Right in His 2024 PCCAs Speech With Shoutout to Katelyn Brown and Kids
- Philadelphia’s district attorney scores legal win against GOP impeachment effort
- California to apologize for state’s legacy of racism against Black Americans under new law
- Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
- Ex-'Apprentice’ candidates dump nearly entire stake in owner of Trump’s Truth Social platform
Ranking
- Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
- Attorneys tweak $2.78B college settlement, remove the word ‘booster’ from NIL language
- Al Michaels laments number of flags in Cowboys vs. Giants game: 'Looks like June 14th'
- Attorneys tweak $2.78B college settlement, remove the word ‘booster’ from NIL language
- Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
- 'Wolfs' review: George Clooney, Brad Pitt bring the charm, but little else
- Empowering Investors: The Vision of Dream Builder Wealth Society
- California Governor Signs Bills to Tighten Restrictions on Oil and Gas Drillers
Recommendation
Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
Last of Us' Bella Ramsey and Nashville's Maisy Stella Seemingly Confirm Romance
Why Comedian Matt Rife Wants to Buy The Conjuring House
2024 PCCAs: Why Machine Gun Kelly's Teen Daughter Casie Baker Wants Nothing to Do With Hollywood
Who are the most valuable sports franchises? Forbes releases new list of top 50 teams
Menendez brothers' family slam 'grotesque' Netflix show 'Monsters' for 'outright falsehoods'
Taco Bell testing new items: Caliente Cantina Chicken Burrito, Aguas Refrescas drink
Trevon Diggs vs. Malik Nabers: Cowboys CB and Giants WR feud, explained